Monday, June 13

It's officially been a week since I last saw the United States.

Back to Roma!
I finally stepped foot in the Colloseum! After learning about and studying it in Latin for the past 3 years, I finally got to see it in person and walk where the Romans walked.



I have seen the Roman Forum innumerable amounts of times in my Latin textbooks and online, and being able to walk in it and see the ruins and THE ARCH OF TITUS (which is my favorite thing that I have been looking forward to this whole trip) was ah-mazing. Lots of walking. But worth it.


We walked to the Capital building of Rome as well as the Trevi Fountain!!!! Let me paint another scenario for you:
A young innocent American girl (me again!) finds herself eye-to-eye with an ancient fountain of love. Hundreds scurry past her. Men, women, children, families, even a really REALLY cute Italian boy....beside the point. She walks down the steps to the edge of the water. Mist sprays across her face. It feels nice on that hot day in Rome. Clasping a one euro coin from her purse pocket, she takes her stance by the edge of the fountain and turns her back to it. A friend takes her place with her camera. On 'three' after making her wish, Rachel throws the coin over her RIGHT shoulder (very very wrong) and hears the click of the camera followed by the clinking of a coin. She missed. A couple stood by watched the whole event occur and quickly told her (in the best half-english, half-who knows what) that she needed to throw the coin from her right hand over her LEFT shoulder. She picked up her failed coin and had a second chance! This time she closed her eyes, made her wish yet again, and let go of the coin mid-air, only to hear a splash this time. It worked. And she hopes that her wish will come true.


Following that experience, we all walked to the Pantheon, which is the oldest standing church in the world (I believe). THEN we went to the Spanish Steps. Massimo told us that this is where young boys and girls hang out and meet each other. Sounds like my place. Madeline and I posted up on one of the bottom steps to scope out the boys. Let me tell you, this is the place where all the cute Italian boys come. And let me tell you, we got many many looks and stares. Mission accomplished. Massimo didn't hesitate to come over to us and talk to us. Our conversation went somewhat as follows:

"Stop trying to get the Italian boys!"
"But, Massimo, we're just sitting here! (giggles)"
"They are dirty pigs and you are just a number to them. You should try to be more than just a number. I am going to make you wear nun costumes tomorrow if you don't stop"
"But papa! (we are all his little girls) they are the ones looking at us!"
"No! Forbidden! Go sit with the others!"
Hahaha, Massimo was very protective over us, and though more was conversed, that was the gist of the banter. I will miss him very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment